Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Could I have sciatica in both legs?"

ZocdocAnswersCould I have sciatica in both legs?


I had a spinal fusion done on the right side


Sciatica is a general term that we sometimes used to describe lumbar radiculopathy. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a physiatrist. Lumbar radiculopathy is a condition that occurs when a nerve becomes pinched, stretched, or irritated as it exits the lumbar spine. The fact that you have had a spinal fusion suggests to me that you probably have had issues with your lumbar spine and radiculopathy is certainly a possible problem. Lumbar radiculopathy tends to occur on one side more than the other. However there is no rule that says one cannot have it on both sides. It is just unusual for someone to have these symptoms in both legs at the same time without one leg being significantly worse. There are also other possible causes of symptoms that can seem like sciatica such as claudication, which is a condition caused by low blood flow to the legs secondary to blockages in the arteries. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a physiatrist. this is a doctor that specializes in low back pain. You probably need to have an MRI of your lumbar spine. If the MRI does not show obvious cause of the pain that you are having in your legs, and you might need to have an evaluation of the blood flow to your legs.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.