ZocdocAnswersI have a soft and painful lump sticking out of the bottom of my anus. Is it cancer?

Question

I have a soft and painful lump sticking out of the bottom of my anus. Is it cancer?

There is a soft lump sticking out of my anus and is very painful. It is squishy, like a bubble that I could pop. It comes and goes every once in a while but now it is bigger and more painful than ever. I am 26 years old and do not have a healthy diet and do not have healthy bowl movements. Is this normal or is it cancer? Should I go see my doctor?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain. You should see your physician based on your symptoms alone. You have a soft lump that is painful in the anal region which could be a polyp or hemorrhoid. You mention that you do not have a healthy diet or normal healthy bowel movements, which put you at risk for developing hemorrhoids. When you do not have fiber in your diet which are from vegetables, oats, fruits etc, your stool becomes hard. Fiber helps your stool absorb water so your stool is soft and can pass through the colon easily. When your stool is hard, you will strain during a bowel movement and this cases increased pressure which can lead to hemorrhoids. There are internal and external hemorrhoids. Internal hemorrhoids can bleed and are usually painless. External hemorrhoids can also bleed but are very painful. To prevent these from occurring, you will need to drink plenty of fluids, and eat a diet rich in fiber such as apples with skin on, broccoli, etc. You can also take fiber supplements. Based on your description and symptoms, it is possible that you may have a hemorrhoid but you should have your physician check it out to ensure that it isn't anything serious such as cancer.