ZocdocAnswersWhat's the cause of headache after sex?

Question

What's the cause of headache after sex?

I just had sexual inter course and had a severe headache immediately afterwards. It lasted about 2-3 minutes then subsided into a dull pressure. Is this common?I took aspirin.

Answer

That is a great question and one that is best answered by a primary care doctor or a doctor specializing in headaches such as a neurologist. What you are describing sounds to be possibly post-coital headache or coital cephalalgia which are just fancy ways of saying headaches after sexual intercourse. This is a somewhat uncommon form of headache but something that has been described in the literature. Is this the first time you have had headache after sexual intercourse or is this something that happens every time? In general, symptomatic treatment is enough to treat this issue although it is very important that you discuss this with your primary care doctor who can evaluate you and make sure this isn't something more concerning that would require further work up and possibly treatment. There are currently several theories as to why this occurs although no one knows exactly what the cause of these types of headaches are. Speak with your doctor regarding this issue, but in the meanwhile, it is recommended that you treat it symptomatically as you have done with aspirin or NSAIDs to treat the headache and ice or heating packs if that helps you.