ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing pain below my left kneecap & a burning pain down my leg?

Question

What is causing pain below my left kneecap & a burning pain down my leg?

I fell on a concrete parking lot 4 months ago & landed on my left knee/leg. I had excruciating pain below my knee cap. It never did swell or bruise &I could walk just fine. However, when I would get on the floor or press on my knee, the pain was unbearable. After a week I noticed I had burning pain down the left side of my leg (I think the Tibia area).As of today I am still having this burning sensation in my leg & it's not any better. The pain below my knee cap is still there too, but not quite as bad, unless I press on it. I had an X-ray after 2 months and everything was fine. No MRI has been done yet.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your injury, and it sounds like these persistent symptoms are having a significant impact on your quality of life. In order to provide an accurate assessment and treatment plan, a doctor would need to collect a complete medical history and perform a thorough exam. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to move forward. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedist who can help you with this issue. The knee is a complex joint with many structures that can cause pain when injured. It is possible you suffered a fracture to the patella (kneecap) or along the joint line that is causing your pain. There are many fluid-filled sacs, or bursa, that typically provide cushioning to the joint. If these are injured, they can become inflamed, thereby causing pain. The burning sensation you are experiencing could be due to a nerve injury in your leg, and persistent inflammation can cause continued irritation. There are also multiple tendons and ligaments in the knee, such as the ACL, MCL, and PCL, that can cause pain. Finally, the meniscus, or piece of cartilage that cushions the joint, can become injured and cause pain. I strongly encourage you to discuss these possibilities with an orthopedic surgeon.