How long after a laminectomy is it safe to get pregnant?

I am 7 weeks post op currently. And will I have to have a c-section birth?
Thanks for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about this question. This question focuses on a number of different factors. First, of course, the immediate postoperative wound will need to heal. In most cases of people of normal health, the wound itself will have healed after a week or two, and strength of the soft tissues will gradually improve over the next few months. The bone itself healing and strengthening can take more time, obviously. This complete healing is much more dependent on you and your overall health. Smoking, diabetes, osteoporosis, age, and other medical issues can all play a part in determining how long until that part of your spine is able to take the heavy strain of pregnancy. Additionally, pregnancy does cause changes to the normal bone growth and metabolism that may be problematic. It is therefore advisable that you discuss this question in great detail with the surgeon who helped with your surgery. He or she will know your specific situation best, and will want you to have the best outcome. He or she will also be able to advise if a c section birth is appropriate to prevent further harm should you become pregnant soon. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.