ZocdocAnswersCan a baby grow and live inside a body without an uterus?

Question

Can a baby grow and live inside a body without an uterus?

I am pregnant just found out yesterday/ I had my uterus removed 5 ys ago. Can my baby live?

Answer

This is nearly unheard of and close to impossible. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN for evaluation. In fact, without knowing any other details, I would suspect that the positive pregnancy test you had was a false positive, or it's indicative of another source of beta HCG. HCG is the hormone that we look at when trying to detect if someone is pregnant. It is a hormone released by the embryo itself. However it can also be released by other things such as some tumors. Conception requires the uterus to allow the sperm and egg to meet. If you had your cervix removed with your uterus, then this is near impossible. Even if you still have your cervix this is near impossible. In the rare chance that you are actually pregnant, the embryo would be considered ectopic and would need to be removed. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. You might need a blood test to look for HCG and perhaps a pelvic ultrasound to look at your ovaries to make sure there is no tumor.