Can I remove Mirena myself?

I have had mirena 4.5 years and when i have sexual intercourse sometimes it hurts or causes bleeding. After my least sexual relation i have pain in my pelvic and lower back areas
You should definitely not attempt to remove your IUD yourself as this should only be done by a health care professional. In fact, it should only be done by a health care professional that is specially trained in placing and removing IUDs. This is typically an OBGYN or a specially trained primary care physician. Since you have had the Mirena for so long, I wonder if your symptoms of painful sexual intercourse are caused by something else altogether. The only reason that I can think of that the IUD would be causing you pain is if it was associated with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). In some cases, the IUD can result in an infection of the uterus which can result in a very tender cervix which translates into painful intercourse. If you have had a recent fever or has been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease then this is a possibility. Otherwise, I would probably consider another reason for the painful intercourse. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. You are near the end of the life of the Mirena IUD anyway and will probably need to take it out and/or replace it. From there you can decide if the IUD is still your preferred method of birth control. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs