ZocdocAnswersWhat's the cause of my dizziness?

Question

What's the cause of my dizziness?

Last Saturday I started feeling light headed, but mostly when I rose from a seated position. On Sunday & Monday it wasn't too bothersome, but on Monday I wore my glasses more than usual which seemed to help a little. On Tuesday I woke up with a sinus headache from (you know where) and I scheduled an appt. My Doctor prescribed me Bactrim for a sinus infection, but said my ears looked clear and well, so he gave me Meclazine for the dizziness. I left work dizzy for 2 days. I am fine as long as I don't have to move a lot, but when I walk long distances, look down (like to read) or am required to move around, I feel like I'm on a boat and it makes me want to throw up. I can't take the Meclazine while I am working because it makes me tired. I had blood tests a few months ago and the results were epic-ally healthy. I am not overweight, my diet is very healthy, my iron levels are high. I can't figure out what is causing this but it's starting to freak me out.

Answer

So sorry to hear about this problem. Dizziness is unfortunately rather common, but there are some clues that can help. First, I am glad that you have already spoken with your doctor, and I would advise that you continue to work with him or her to make sure that you recover quickly and fully, or at least get the help you need. Dizziness is often divided into either central or peripheral in origin. Central dizziness is thought to arise from something within the brain itself. A common, albeit scary, example of this is the dizziness that patients can have when they are experiencing or have experienced a stroke. Often, but not always, there are other symptoms that are associated, and that is why you should speak with your doctor about new onset dizziness, as you did. Peripheral dizziness is thought to originate with something within the ear or some of the nerves or other organs near your ear that contribute to your balance. Common examples of this include benign vertigo as well as the vertigo or dizziness that a person can get with ear and sinus infections. Please continue to work with your doctor. Please speak with your doctor.