My granddaughter contracted the hand foot & mouth virus and I have been in contact with her. Could I be a carrier and for how long?

Could I be a carrier and for how long? I ask because my other daughter is 23 weeks pregnant and I don't want to pass it on to her.
Thanks for the question. Hand foot and mouth disease is a common condition that can affect young children. It can also be passed on to anyone, and even adults can catch the virus that causes these symptoms. For this reason, it is important for your daughter to speak with her doctor about these concerns. Most often, adults have developed antibodies to this (and many other very common viruses) that prevent them from getting the symptoms. Therefore, most adults do not have to do more than to wash their hands carefully and practice routine hygiene. Children and others who have contracted the virus are most contagious during the first 1-2 weeks, and so it is important to be especially careful during that time. While transmission to a pregnant woman should be avoided if possible, the risks are thought to be low for causing harm. Many pregnant women will have an older child who contracts this illness (as it is common), and most do fine. Another advantage is that your daughter has finished the first trimester, which makes the risk significantly less as most of the vital organs have finished their most important stages of growth. All of this being said, it is important to discuss this with your daughter so that she can ask her doctor about her specific risks.