ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to bleed after a salpingectomy?

Question

Is it normal to bleed after a salpingectomy?

I had a salpingectomy last Friday (9/13/13). After surgery I started spotting. My normal period suppose to started 9/20/13. On 9/18/13 I noticed an increase on my bleeding. Right know I'm soaking pads every 2-3 hrs. Is it my normal period or something is wrong after surgery? I'm really worry

Answer

I would recommend calling your OB GYN doctor right away. This amount of bleeding does seem fairly concerning, and I think it is important to make sure that you do not need emergency treatment. In addition to calling your OB GYN doctor for advice, if you have any dizziness, palpitations, or shortness of breath, those are likely clear signs of serious amounts of bleeding, and you should go to the emergency room right away without waiting to talk with your doctor. It could certainly be normal to have some spotting or light bleeding of this surgery, but the amount of bleeding you are having seems to be exceeding that. In addition to ruling out a surgical complication (or even an extremely heavy period after surgery causing a dangerous amount of bleeding), it may also be necessary to rule out a persistent ectopic pregnancy. This is a bit of an assumption on my part, since ectopic pregnancy is the most common reason to have a salpingectomy (and please do forgive me if I've gotten this part wrong!). Nevertheless, when a salpingectomy is performed for an ectopic pregnancy there is a small change that the pregnancy is not completely removed and could be the source of bleeding. Please call your doctor right away!