ZocdocAnswersI was diagnosed with sinusitis, but is it something more?

Question

I was diagnosed with sinusitis, but is it something more?

I went to my doctor a couple days ago and he said I have acute sinusitis and gave me an antibiotic and a nasal spray and Mucinex. Well things have just gotten worse. I have extreme pain in my left ear as well as all around it, going into my left jaw. The pain is nonstop, the meds aren't helping. I have also notice some black war wax coming out of that ear. I'm in severe pain, should I go back to the doctors or will this get better over time?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with sinusitis and that you have been dealing with sinus problems and ear pain. It will be hard for me to tell you exactly what is going on without being able to examine you and perform a thorough history, so I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to see an ENT ( or Ear Nose Throat physician). Typically I would tell you that if you have sinusitis, and ear pain, then it is likely due to referred pain, which is a term meaning that even though there is nothing actually wrong with your ear, you are experiencing symptoms there (such as pain or burning). This typically happens when there is throat irritation and the patient experiences ear pain (despite having a normal ear exam). However in your case you state that you have noted some discharge from your ear which is not normal, and thus it is important that an ENT examine you (including performing a good otoscopy, aka ear scope exam) and they will be able to tell you exactly what is going on in your ear. They can also scope you nose and see if there is still infected fluids (pus) coming out of your sinuses. Best of luck.