Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are two bumps in the back of my throat on the right side of my tongue?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are two bumps in the back of my throat on the right side of my tongue?


Uncomfortable swallowing havent been able to eat in 3 months


Thank you for your question, and please speak with your doctor. The specific type of doctor that you should see is likely an otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon (AKA ENT AKA ear nose and throat surgeon). This is the type of doctor that has experience in treating lesions and problems with the ears, nose and throat, among other conditions, and would best be able to help you. Sometimes your primary care doctor will be able to evaluate your condition and begin some treatments which can be effective as well, and other times they will need to send you on to a specialist, which in this case would be an ENT. As for your specific question, I am not sure what the two bumps could be. We all have some irregularities at the base of our tongues that are known as the circumvallate papillae, and it could be that you are simply feeling these. The fact that you also mention some soreness makes me at least concerned that it could be something more serious, however, and so you should likely speak with your doctor to begin some sort of treatment and diagnosis. Please speak with your doctor about your question.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.