ZocdocAnswersIs there anything I can do about stress and anxiety?

Question

Is there anything I can do about stress and anxiety?

I'm a university student and I'm always stressed. I feel as though I can't take anything in in class (can't remember anything) and even get stressed doing homework. I feel physically sick, I get snappy and my hands perspire and i get hot and cold flushes and i feel extremely tired all the time. Is there anything I can do about this?

Answer

It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms as soon as possible. Your doctor will do a full history and physical and possibly run some tests to determine your diagnosis. Depending on what your doctor discovers, he or she may refer you to a psychiatrist or a counselor. From your description of your symptoms it sounds like you are suffering from anxiety. However, it is also possible that you could have ADD or ADHD (attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Depression can also accompany anxiety symptoms so your doctor will ask about your mood. There are certain medical conditions that can cause your symptoms as well such as hyperthyroidism so your doctor may ask about any changes in weight, constipation or diarrhea, or hot/cold intolerance. The treatment will depend on your diagnosis but if it is indeed, anxiety, effective therapies include counseling and sometimes medication. Again, please make an appointment with your doctor immediately as your symptoms sounds like they are very negatively effecting your quality of life. In the meantime it is important to get plenty of rest as insomnia can contribute to your symptoms. You may also want to try exercise, deep breathing, yoga and/or meditation.