ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about really dry skin?

Question

What can I do about really dry skin?

Hi, i live in Boston and the las couple of days i have had a problem with my sin Face because it has got really dry and its ichi! I have tried to use moisturizer creams but it didn't work. Would you recommend me any medicine or cream that would help?

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. There are definitely some things that can be done to help. First, it's important to know a bit more about your health and your past medical history, as well as your age and your ethnic heritage. All of these are important when you are speaking to your doctor about a skin problem, as the potential explanation for your problems can vary based off of these factors. Some people have a history of eczema, for example, and these people will need to treat dry skin differently than people who just have overexposed skin. That's why it is important to speak with your doctor. This past winter has been hard on the skin of many people in the northeast United States. The cold makes the air able to hold less moisture, and so the moisture from your body is pulled out. The skin serves as a natural barrier to this loss, but even the skin can become dry and damaged, which will then affect its natural ability to protect. While skin moisturizers can be effective, it is good to understand that not all are created equal. Usually, the thicker the cream the better it will serve to protect your skin. Please speak with your doctor about this question.