ZocdocAnswersI noticed I have a bruise (light greenish/brown) under my armpit. What could it be?

Question

I noticed I have a bruise (light greenish/brown) under my armpit. What could it be?

It has been there for a week. This is the second or third time I've noticed this. It is not tender to touch at all and no where around the area is sore? I am a healthy 28yr old female. I do take aspirin every day to thin my blood due to a heart condition so I do bruise easily but these bruises just seem different.

Answer

Thanks for checking in with this question. Given your history, you are aware of how important it is to work closely with a physician to make sure that you remain well, and you are also likely more in tune with your body than many people because of what you have been through already. Bruises have many different sources (such as trauma, spontaneous, etc), but all have at their base the idea that small blood vessels are ruptured and cause spilling of blood into the skin. This is visible under or through the skin, which leads to the color of the bruise. As the body slowly resorbs the bruise, the color of the bruise itself can change from dark to purple to green, all due to chemical changes that are occurring. It is hard to say what may be different about these bruises from your normal bruises without more information. Obviously, you have had some experience with bruises in the past, and so if you think that these are somehow different you should show them to your doctor and have him or her examine you and perhaps complete blood work to make sure that all is well. Please speak with your doctor about this question.