ZocdocAnswersIs it bacteria or something else there?

Question

Is it bacteria or something else there?

I have been passing gas alot these past few weeks but it doesnt really smell i don't think. I am completely embarrassed because I have been passing gas on the couches in my school lounge where all of my classmates sit. So people are sitting where I once passed gas not that long before. I don't know how to fix it. Is there any bacteria on the couch? Is there something on the couch because of me passing gas on it? I am so embarrassed.

Answer

Thanks for your question. Not sure if it makes you feel better or not, but there is a good possibility that you are not the first to have passed gas on those couches. Fortunately, there is not a great amount of concern for bacteria or other germs that are passed through flatulence, at least when the person is fully clothed. With regards to your question about what to do with regards to your increased flatulence, there are several things that can be done. First, there are some medical conditions that can also pertain to your situation, and so if you are having any other concerning symptoms, it is important to speak with your doctor about them to make sure that you are well. Also, your diet will likely play a role in this, as diets that are high in fiber can allow more product for the bacteria that are in your stomach to digest. It is this process of digestion that contributes to flatulence. There are products that are available over the counter that can also be effective for some people, and they might or might not help you. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and good luck!