ZocdocAnswersIs it a brain tumor or just serious depression?

Question

Is it a brain tumor or just serious depression?

I'm an 18 year old female that's about to have a panic attack if you can't help me...... Does being depressed make you feel dizzy and have a lot of headaches and chest pains?? I'm really scared because I went to the ER room but they don't detect any heart problems so I don't know what's wrong with me? And I'm hoping it's not a brain tumor because I read that dizziness and headaches are supposed to be symptoms??!?!?!? I taken some ibuprofens for the chest pains but that sometimes work momentarily but then sometimes it doesn't and for the dizziness I don't know what to do some days is worst than others like one day it'll be more like a light headed feeling and I could cope but then some days it's like I kind of get this weird dizzy feeling that makes me feel kind of sick, and when I lay down or sit down for a little while when I get up I get a head rush and it feels like a lot of pressure on my head. Please tell me what's wrong with me?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical professional who can perform a complete history and physical examination and decide upon the correct work up which may include labs or imaging tests. I am sure that the symptoms you are having are very disconcerting and there could be many causes for the symptoms you are having. It is difficult to diagnose the cause of your symptoms based upon the limited history provided but your doctor will best be able to evaluate you and decide upon what the likely cause is and what are the possible options for how to treat you best. Based upon what you have described, it is unlikely that you have a brain tumor and more likely that you have some depression or anxiety and it may be that you are fixating on the thought of a brain tumor as a potential cause for these symptoms. That being said, only a doctor can decide what is the underlying cause of these symptoms so it is suggested that you go to see a doctor as soon as possible to evaluate you and offer your treatment options which may include antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications.