ZocdocAnswersI had a late period and heavy bleeding after sex, what does that mean?

Question

I had a late period and heavy bleeding after sex, what does that mean?

My period was 5 days late...me and my boyfriend had sex n it was painful so we stopped..earlier that day i had brown discharge but none on tissue whn i wiped...the next morning i woke up n went to rr blood on tissue but not heavy enough for tampon what does that mean

Answer

Thanks for your question. It's hard to say what could be causing your bleeding and the pain during intercourse. There are many different ideas, ranging from infections, to systemic medical conditions, to localized problems that need treatment. With most of these problems, it is important to remember that bleeding outside of your normal menstrual cycle is something that needs to be discussed with your physician. Most often, your OB/GYN will need to examine you to make sure that everything is well. No matter what your age is, there are some things that need to be reviewed to make sure that you are healthy and well, and to prevent you from having even more problems in the future. Please speak with your doctor about this problem in the near future.