ZocdocAnswersStomach problems and blood in stool, what should I do?

Question

Stomach problems and blood in stool, what should I do?

last couple days i had bad acid problems and was not having any luck going to the bathroom. butt today i final did went and notice my stool may have blood in it. through hard to tell at first. they is fact blood in it and some how going to the bathroom make me feel better.

Answer

Blood in your stool is something that you should never ignore, so I recommend that you speak with your primary care physician. Bloody stool can mean a G.I. bleed which is something that can be life-threatening. If the blood is bright red, then most of the time the blood is coming from the lower G.I. tract. Blood coming from the upper G.I. tract is usually black in color because it has been digested by the small intestine. I must say that your case, it sounds like you probably have a bleeding hemorrhoid. It sounds like you are constipated, and during the process of passing a large stool noticed some blood on the stool. This is extremely common and often is nothing to worry about though there is no way for me to be sure based on the description that you provided. If it is a hemorrhoid, then it probably bled a little bit on the stool and you probably noticed it mostly when he wiped. After that the blood was probably gone. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with her primary care physician for further assessment of this problem. Your doctor will need to take a look at your anal area to assess for the presence of hemorrhoids that might explain the bleeding. In addition, your doctor will test your stool for blood which will be helpful in determining whether or not this is a major problem that needs further evaluation by a gastroenterologist.