Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are possible causes of high FSH levels, and no menstrual cycle for over a year?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are possible causes of high FSH levels, and no menstrual cycle for over a year?


I am 23 years old, and have not had a period since Jan 2012. I have had blood work done and it shows that my FSH levels are post menopausal, everything else checked out fine. Can this be reversed? I am hoping to have children. What are some of the causes of this, and is there any treatments I can do?


I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. There are a few different problems that can cause an elevation in follicle stimulating hormones (FS). In general FSH levels rise only towards the middle of your cycle just before ovulation. If you are not having any cycles, then ovulation is probably not the cause of your high FSH levels. One cause of high FSH levels is ovarian failure. We see this in woman who approach menopause when the ovaries start to shut down naturally. FSH is a hormone designed to stimulate the ovaries. When the ovaries are not producing any estrogen, the brain thinks it needs to make more FSH (hence why the levels rise when the ovaries are not working). When it happens to younger women, then we call that premature ovarian failure. The cause of premature ovarian failure in most cases cannot be known without knowing more information. It could be genetic, though not always. Again, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN or perhaps a fertility specialist. You need a variety of testing including other hormones (LH, estrogen, androgens, testosterone) and probably a pelvic exercise. Your condition may or may not be reversible. It all depends on the cause so please speak with your doctor.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.