Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How to relieve/treat upper right back pain?"

ZocdocAnswersHow to relieve/treat upper right back pain?


Hi i am a 16 year old girl and for about six months the area of my upper right back has been hurting. It is usually a dull ache and is very sensitive to touch, but certain activities such as lifting or writing irritate it more and it feels very hot and painful. I cant remember one event triggering it, one day i woke up and it was just there. It started off less painful, and has gotten worse since it began I have tried massage therapy, gone to the osteopath and while some of those help for a bit, the pain never really goes away. Does anyone know what could be causeing this/ what could i do to treat it. I have been trying to do research and i think it might be related to stress of muscle overuse, but i have no idea if this is right and what to do even if it is. Please help!


Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about your persistent pain. There are many different reasons that a person can have back pain, and it is quite common for many people to have it. Unfortunately, it is not common for 16 year old people most of the time, and so that means that you should speak with your doctor about your complaint. The type of pain that you are experiencing can provide valuable information. Sharp, stabbing pain that comes repeatedly in the same area can be due to a problem with the nerve, and is often referred to as neurogenic pain. Cramping, colicky pain that comes and goes over time is often related to a structure that has a lumen, and moves things through it (such as the gut). The type of pain that you seem to be describing does appear to be similar to the type of pain that a person can feel when there is a problem with the muscle. This sort of pain can respond to different therapies, but it is important to know what is causing the pain before you begin to treat something that has been a problem for a long time. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.