ZocdocAnswersCan I start smoking when my ulcer is cured?

Question

Can I start smoking when my ulcer is cured?

I used to smoke daily ......but because of ulcer i have stoped.....can i start smoking after ulcer gets cured??

Answer

I am sorry to hear you were diagnosed with an ulcer. There are multiple types of ulcers, and I cannot determine which type you are referencing based on your question. However, most people typically refer to gastric or duodenal (small intestine) ulcers. As these are serious conditions, I recommend you discuss this further with your gastroenterologist. Multiple factors increase your risk of developing an ulcer, and these same factors can lead to ulcer recurrence. Most duodenal ulcers are caused by infection from H. pylori, a type of bacteria. This can also lead to gastric ulcers, although it is a less common cause. Other factors include excess stomach acid release, breakdown of the stomach's protective lining (as often happens with ibuprofen use), alcohol use, and smoking. The ulcer is typically an erosion of the stomach or small intestine lining. In serious cases, this erosion can extend through the intestine wall, causing your intestinal contents to spill into your abdominal cavity. This is a surgical emergency with a high rate of mortality. Given the potential severity of this condition, you should discuss any concerns with your gastroenterologist. Given that you have already developed one ulcer, you are at high risk for recurrence. Smoking is a known risk factor for ulcer development, and it is certainly not safe for you to restart smoking. In addition, smoking is known to increase your risk of heart attack, stroke, emphysema, lung cancer, and many other types of cancer. I encourage you to discuss the specific dangers of smoking for you with your primary care physician, as well.