ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do to prevent vaginal farts?

Question

What can I do to prevent vaginal farts?

I experienced some vaginal farts or "queefs" during gymnastics yesterday. It was very embarrassing and I can to go through that again. The clas is mainly boys. What can I do to prevent the queefing? And would using a tampon prevent the queef? Even if I only have the tampon in for an hour. I really need a solution before next week. Kegal exercises are not an option in my time frame.

Answer

Vaginal farts or 'queefs' occur when air gets into the vagina and then gets back out. They happen most commonly during sexual intercourse or when doing positions in yoga or gymnastics that involve raising your legs over your pelvis. In general, they probably cannot be avoided entirely, but there may be ways to diminish the frequency of occurrence. You may benefit from trying these tips at home and seeing what works best for you and I recommend discussing your question with your doctor, who might have other suggestions. The first suggestion is to try squeezing your anal sphincter. This contracts the muscles of the pelvic floor and may help maintain vaginal tone and prevent the tissues from relaxing and opening up, letting air in. Kegel exercises in the long term may also help for the same reason, and if you are interested in continuing in this class might be worth starting to do. A related suggestion is to try to squeeze your legs together as much as possible and to focus on keeping those muscles contracted - this will also generally maintain muscle tone of the pelvic floor and prevent air from getting in. Finally, for some people the angle of the vagina makes a difference. You may find that if you angle your pelvis slightly differently as you raise your legs (which can also be adjusted by how much you contract your abdominal muscles) it will affect how much air gets in. Try out different methods and see what works for you. A tampon is unlikely to help since the air will get around it, and can dry out your vaginal tissues putting you at risk for irritation of the tissues and, as always with tampons, possible infections. Again, I recommend that you visit your doctor and see if they have any suggestions.