ZocdocAnswersWhy do my knees crunch/ache?

Question

Why do my knees crunch/ache?

I am an 18 year old girl and have had this problem for 6 years. Anytime I bend my knees in the slightest there is a very loud crunching sound. After periods of exercise or even when im laying down they tend to get pins and needles feelings. Ive been to doctors about it before, had an MRI, and was told nothing was wrong. why then am i still experiencing the noise as well as the pain?

Answer

Thank you for your interesting question. In order to provide an accurate answer, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam, including an extensive joint exam. I would also need to review your prior MRI and any other testing you underwent. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to determine the cause of your symptoms. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. The knee is a complex joint with many structures that can cause pain when injured. You may have suffered an injury to the muscles of the knee or even a small, hairline fracture of one of the bones. An injury to the meniscus, which is a small disc of cartilage in the joint, can cause pain. There are multiple bursa, or fluid filled sacs in the joint, that provide cushioning. Injury to them can lead to inflammation and pain. You may have suffered an injury to one of the ligaments in the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. You may also have developed some early osteoarthritis. It is not possible to diagnose your pain with more information, and I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.