How can I treat a skin infection on my lower leg?

Injured my leg. Near ankle , then a piece of skin came off with the bandaid, now an infection.
Sorry to hear about this problem. Skin infections can happen on any part of the body, but can be more serious when they happen on the extremities. This is because the blood supply is less to these parts of the body, and blood is necessary to fight infections and help the body to heal. Without both, small infections and breakdown in the skin can become much more serious problems. In your specific situation, it is important that you speak with a doctor soon to make sure that you are treated in a prompt and appropriate fashion. Early on in this sort of injury, topical and over the counter antibiotics such as bacitracin ointment can help to keep down the bacterial burden that can otherwise enter in through the injured skin. As time passes, the bacteria enter and it can become more important to treat this sort of problem with more aggressive steps, such as systemic antibiotics. As time passes further, even more aggressive steps may be needed, at times including surgery. All of this can happen faster and is less likely to heal in those with impaired immune systems or decreased blood flow (such as those with diabetes). Again, please speak with your doctor.