ZocdocAnswersI have a terrible headache, high temperature, and vomiting. What should I do?

Question

I have a terrible headache, high temperature, and vomiting. What should I do?

i'm 22 year old girl

Answer

Please speak with your doctor! While any of these things, by themselves, would be something that a person can have from time to time, when symptoms start to add together it is important to be seen by someone who can help. Terrible headaches can have many different causes, and of course only a few of these are serious. Your past history of headaches, if you have had them before, would give some extra information to your doctor as well. When you describe headaches with a high fever, concerns for meningitis always come to mind, especially in young people and other groups that could have increased risk for brain or nervous system infections. The vomiting could also be a sign of this, and so it is important to speak with your doctor immediately. That being said, it is also true that most infections that lead to vomiting can also lead to dehydration and this can lead to a headaches as well, which is more common than a person having meningitis. While these are a couple of examples that can be serious, it is important to speak with your doctor to make sure that your current symptoms are appropriately treated. Please speak with your doctor.