Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I've had 6 styes in 3 months, what should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI've had 6 styes in 3 months, what should I do?


I have been having 6 eye styes from the past 3 months. I went to 5 different doctors, and there's no good reason. They told me to compress warm cloth on my eye every time. They gave me an ointment called "Tobradex", which is scary to me because doctor told me that I can get glaucoma from it. The last doctor prescribed me an antibiotic called Doxycycline (100mg). The antibiotic has to be taken for three weeks. I just recently finished an antibiotic for strep throat, and I dont want to be unable to drink for another three weeks. I use baby shampoo to clean my eyelid every morning. Almost every morning I have a discharge on my eye. I feel that my discharge and styes come after a night out drinking with my firends, but I try to do a research and can't find a correlation between drinking and styes/discharge. What am I suppose to do doctor!?


Sorry to hear that you have been having problems with recurrent styes. The best thing to do is to speak with an ENT or ophthalmologist. It sounds like you have been managed appropriately thus far with conservative management techniques (such as cleansing soaps and warm compresses), antibiotic drops (tobradex is a combination drop with tobramycin, and antibiotic, and dexamethasome, a steroid), as well as oral antibiotics (doxycycline). It would be good to know, however, if you have seen an otolaryngologist (aka ENT or ears, nose, throat physician) or an ophthalmologist. The reason being that if you are having chronic crusting in your eyes (even when you don't have an infection present, like a stye) then there might be something else going on. There are numerous problems that can cause crusting within you eyes; such as dacrocystitis (inflammation and infection of the lacrimal sac), or obstruction of the outflow of the lacrimal system. As far as whether this problem is related to you going out drinking with your friends, it is difficult to tell without being able to ask you more questions and examine you. Theoretically you could be dehydrated after drinking, and your tears could become crusted in the morning when you wake up. I would recommend that you start out by seeing an ENT or ophthalmologist to get a thorough exam. Best of luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.