ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do to gain weight?

Question

What can I do to gain weight?

my Dr. said i need to gain weight because i have developed in puberty in every way but my period what can i eat or drink to gain weight?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Your low body weight and lack of a period can be caused by numerous factors. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a pediatric endocrinologist who can help you with this issue. It is not possible to provide accurate recommendations without performing a physical exam and reviewing your medical history. Menstruation depends on the production of several different hormones, and this depends on an interaction between your brain, ovaries, and uterus. Abnormalities in any one of these organs can cause a delay in menstruation. An abnormality of the thyroid gland can cause a delay in menstruation. Low body weight can also cause a delay in menstruation. This can be seen in individuals with eating disorders or in athletes. First, it is important to know if there is a medical reason you are having difficulty gaining weight, such as a thyroid issue, intestinal issue, or potentially a variant of an eating disorder, and the endocrinologist can help determine if any of these are at play. If you do not have a medical issue making it difficult to gain weight, I suggest you meet with a nutritionist to help review your diet and determine ways to increase your nutrient intake.