ZocdocAnswersI have stiff/hardened lymph nodes in pelvis and neck. What should I do?

Question

I have stiff/hardened lymph nodes in pelvis and neck. What should I do?

I've had, for roughly 4 years, a series of hardened lymphnodes through my pelvis, neck, and throat. An immunologist ran my bloods with healthy results. I'd really like to see a doctor who can explain and treat these issues. Can anyone define and recommend this issue and what doctor should be contacted?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with enlarged lumps within your pelvis, neck and throat for the past 4 years and that it doesn't seem to be going away. While you have given information that you were able to get evaluated by an immunologist and the blood work they ordered was negative, I am still not able to get a complete picture of what it going on without being able to examine you and take more of a medical history. I would recommend that you start out by seeing an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to examine your head and neck (and take more of a history) and tell you if the bumps that you talk about are in fact lymph nodes. They are then able to talk to you about different diagnostic routes to go. These could involve anything from a CT scan or an ultrasound, to a needle biopsy, or even potentially an excisional lymph node biopsy (this is basically surgically removing one of the lymph nodes to send it to a pathologist to examine and determine if there is anything abnormal with the lymph node). I hope that this is helpful and you get the answers that you are looking for. Please speak with an ENT. Best of luck.