ZocdocAnswersThe sides of my wisdom tooth have popped out of the gums, will the rest come out fine?

Question

The sides of my wisdom tooth have popped out of the gums, will the rest come out fine?

The sides of my lower right wisdom tooth have come out with no pain or swelling will the rest come in fine or will it most likely become impacted?

Answer

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to tell about how your tooth is going to develop without more information, so it is important to speak with your dentist. Your dentist will likely be able to provide the specifics that you have requested if he or she has access to x-rays and even more so if he or she is able to examine your other dentition (especially if you have other wisdom teeth that have come in). The development of your dentition is most relevant if you have a reason to have your 3rd molars removed, either due to too little space or a problem within the teeth themselves. If you have any specific questions, please discuss them with your dentist or oral maxillofacial surgeon. He or she will be able to make specific suggestions in your case that can help you plan for the future. Your age may also play a role in some of these suggestions, as different age groups are more or less likely to have problems with extraction of teeth. Please speak with your healthcare provider.