ZocdocAnswersCan new shoes cause hip pain?

Question

Can new shoes cause hip pain?

I recently bought a new pair of shoes and after I wore them, I felt pain from my ankle, knee and hip, the pain has almost gone, its still there. I do have a pair croc shoes, which I love to wear and going to buy another pair. I won't be wearing the new shoes anymore.

Answer

Thank you for your question. Joint pain is a common complaint across age ranges that can be caused by a number of different factors. Depending on your age and past medical history, certain diagnoses may be more common than others. I suggest that you seek an evaluation by your physician or local health center for a better understanding of the pain you are experiencing and to obtain a possible management strategy. New shoes can affect the way that you walk or stand. Walking is a careful coordination between the muscles and joints of your hips, knees, ankles, feet, and toes to allow you to maintain balance. It is possible that changing your gait, stance, or distribution of weight can affect the amount of stress under which various joints are placed. It is possible that increased stress to a particular bone or joint can cause a stress fracture. Trauma to your joints can also cause pain or damage to bones and joints. Underlying health conditions such as obesity or arthritis or may also contribute to pain that individuals with hip pain may be experiencing. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician. I recommend that you discuss with your doctor the pain you are experiencing to determine if there are any additional steps you should take to manage your pain.