Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Could this be a possible digestive problem?"

ZocdocAnswersCould this be a possible digestive problem?


I'm a 20 y/o female, and I've been experiences a lot of symptoms recently (for at least a few years) that have been getting increasingly worse and interfering with my life. I have the following symptoms: loss of appetite nausea abdominal pain and bloating after eating chronic diarrhea gas (often foul-smelling) constant rumbling of stomach acid reflux lethargic apathetic I tried cutting dairy out of my diet, and still had symptoms. I also have chronic laryngitis and migratory glossitis, if it's relevant.


This is a great question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your visit, he or she may decide to order further testing such as blood work or imaging. There are many possible causes for your many symptoms. Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is a fairly common condition that is characterized by alternating diarrhea and constipation, bloating, and abdominal pain. There is no cure as of yet, but can be very effectively managed with diet and lifestyle changes. The other possibility is inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. These conditions are more serious and are usually associated with weight loss. Celiac disease can also cause many of the symptoms you are suffering from and this is caused by an allergy to gluten. Many times, depression and anxiety manifest with many digestive complaints so don't be surprised if your physician asks you questions about your mood and wellbeing. Again, it is very important to seek medical care as soon as possible so that you can obtain a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.