ZocdocAnswersWill the co-administration of aspirin and coxib lower the cardiovascular risk?

Question

Will the co-administration of aspirin and coxib lower the cardiovascular risk?

I'm having rheumatoid arthritis and cardiac failure.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your medical issues. It sounds like they are quite significant and are impacting your life. In order to provide an accurate answer, a doctor would need to review your entire medical history, including prior testing, and also perform a physical exam. After collecting this information, the doctor could then make recommendations regarding these medications. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist to discuss these issues. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that can lead to joint destruction as well as other systemic issues over time. From your question, I cannot tell the cause of what I assume is congestive heart failure. Rheumatoid arthritis itself can cause congestive heart failure. The most common cause is coronary artery disease leading to a myocardial infarction, or heart attack. These causes damage to the heart muscle, and overtime the muscle is not capable of pumping at the normal level. Aspirin is used to both prevent myocardial infarction as well as to reduce risk of recurrent infarcts. Celebrex, or celecoxib, is used to treat pain. It is not typically used to manage cardiovascular risk. Before mixing these medications on your own, it is critical for you to discuss this issue with a cardiologist.