Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"There was blood in my vomit, should I see a doctor?"

ZocdocAnswersThere was blood in my vomit, should I see a doctor?


the other night i had 4 beers at a mates house then about an hour or two later got a really bad headache so i went home when i got home i layed down and started to fell like i was going to vomit and when i did the last bit of vomit had blood in it should i see a doctor ? this has never happened before and i felt very sick after now whenever i drink soft drink or anything like that i feel sick in the stomach even with juice


Thank you for your question. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, you may need other testing such as blood work or imaging studies. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to offer a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to discuss this concern. Vomiting blood is also known as hematemesis, and it has many potential causes. Patients with hepatic cirrhosis can develop blood vessel abnormalities called varices along the esophagus. These can bleed, sometimes leading to massive blood loss. Given your alcohol use, it is possible you have esophagitis or gastritis, essentially irritation of the esophagus and stomach. This can lead to bleeding, and it often requires medication to resolve. Peptic ulcer disease can lead to erosion of the stomach lining, and it can cause bleeding if there is erosion into a blood vessel. If you have had ongoing vomiting, you can develop a tear in the esophageal lining, known as a Mallory-Weiss tear. This can also cause bleeding. I strongly encourage you to discuss these concerns with a primary care doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.