ZocdocAnswersWhich medicine can I use to remove chicken pox spots?

Question

Which medicine can I use to remove chicken pox spots?

chicken pox had badly hurted my skin and my skin has become dark. Can you recommend me any medicine for best result?

Answer

Thanks for the question. There are a number of different things that can be used to help to remove or at least alter the appearance of any skin markings that may have occurred after a skin infection or virus like chicken pox, so it is important to speak with your doctor. First, there are some over the counter agents that can be used to lighten skin tone. In most cases, it is a good idea to speak with a doctor before starting even these over the counter products, as fresh scars may not be appropriate to treat in this fashion. Beyond these over the counter medications, there are a number of products that can be used to help remove blemishes. In some cases, some of the best treatments for small scars are completed in the office of your dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon, where lasers and dermabrasion can both be utilized to help smooth down the rough areas. Many people will have excellent results with either or both of these techniques. If neither of these is appropriate for you, your doctor may have other recommendations as well, as there are many things that can help. On the other hand, it may be appropriate to give the scars some time to mature. Please speak with your doctor about this question.