My left eye is swollen and even purple. What should I do?

My brother kicked my door hard it broke flew open and hit me on the side of the face right next to my eye My left eye has blood in it I had a knot on my head and in a matter of five minutes I had blood rushing down my head and I have a open gash . My vision was blurred in that eye Should I see a doctor ? Should I be concerned ? A day after my left eye is swollen and black and blue and even purple !
After an injury such as this one, it is always a good idea to see your doctor, just to make sure that everything is ok. The "black eye" occurs because there are very fragile veins under the skin surrounding they eye, and they easily rupture with even minor trauma, leading to bruising. Although a black eye doesn't usually require any specific treatment, it is important to make sure there hasn't been any trauma to the eye itself, such as a scratch on the cornea, and your doctor can do this for you. It is especially important to be examined if you have any pain with moving the eye, or any blurring or other disturbance in the vision. Your doctor will also be able to take a look at the gash on your head. It may be that this gash needs stitches or cleaning. It is also important to make sure there is no evidence of an infection setting in, which might require antibiotics. Finally, your doctor will be able to give you advice on what you can do to help with the pain and swelling. Call and make an appointment to be seen as soon as you can.