ZocdocAnswersI have a cut on my foreskin. Should I be worried?

Question

I have a cut on my foreskin. Should I be worried?

I'm 20 years old, and I've had a cut on my foreskin for about 2 weeks or so. Is it cause I masturbate too much?

Answer

Sorry to hear about the cut. While it is hard for me to say exactly what caused the cut, it is important that you take care of it appropriately, so please speak with your doctor. Genital injuries are especially problematic in part due to the bacterial load in this area. If not properly cared for, they can go on to become serious infections such as Fornier's gangrene, a serious condition that often requires aggressive intervention. Fortunately, early intervention can help prevent this sort of problem, with excellent hygiene being the most important thing to do. If you are diabetic, then it is also important to maintain good control over your blood sugar. Another thing to remember is that smoking can decrease wound healing as well. All of these work in different ways, and all can predispose a person to a more serious bacterial infection. In your specific case, it is also important to know if it was truly just a cut or trauma, or if it could be a sign of a different type of infection. There are many infections, including STDs and others, that can present in a similar fashion. Please speak with your doctor about this cut and determine if there is anything more that should be done.