ZocdocAnswersHow much biotin should a teen take per day for hair growth?

Question

How much biotin should a teen take per day for hair growth?

I have a bottle of rexall biotin- 1500 mcg

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. In your case, it is important to first determine the reason you are having difficulty with hair growth. Additionally, it is not possible to provide safe and accurate recommendations on supplementation without knowing the full details of your medical history and performing a thorough physical exam. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. After an in-person evaluation, the doctor can make recommendations on any tests you may need to undergo as well as the best course of action to manage your symptoms. It is unclear from your question which part of your body is not growing hair normally. Abnormal scalp hair growth can be due to a hormone abnormality, such as with thyroid dysfunction, as well as an autoimmune disorder. You will need to see a primary care doctor to see if these are the causes of your symptoms. Vitamin supplements are not regulated by the FDA like medications. As such, many supplements have been shown to not contain the substances they claim. Additionally, some supplements in the past have causes severe illness, even death. Before taking a supplement, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor.