Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have a UTI?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have a UTI?


Just about a week ago I had unprotected sex and ever sense that happened I have been experiancing irritation in my vagina, burning sensation while urinating, foul odor in my urine, really painful stomach pain, sometimes cloudy milky discharge that's not thick or clumpy, just a general sick feeling, and to add that I found two very tiny paper like cuts on my vagina. I've done research and am pretty positive that its either a uti or a yeast infection. I am taking cranberry pills just encase its a uti.


You most likely have one of a few different conditions or perhaps more than one and I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. I certainly agree that a urinary tract infection is one possibility. Burning with urination especially a couple days after having intercourse is definitely a symptom consistent with a urinary tract infection. However, urinary tract infections do not cause vaginal discharge. This can only be explained by a vaginal infection or potentially infection of the cervix. Since you had unprotected sex, your doctor will and want to entertain the possibility that you have an STD. An infection with chlamydia or gonorrhea could cause these symptoms. The other possibility that you mentioned is a yeast infection. Yeast infections typically are not caused by protected sexual intercourse. However, they do cause a whitish discharge and can result in significant vaginal irritation. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. You need a urinalysis to rule out urinary tract infection and a comprehensive pelvic exam to take a look at these lesions in your vagina and the discharge you're having. Your doctor may choose to perform and in office test for chlamydia and gonorrhea and might also look at the discharge to see if there are signs of the yeast infection or bacterial infection of the vagina.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.