ZocdocAnswersIs a dermatology consultation appointment free?

Question

Is a dermatology consultation appointment free?

Do you have to pay for a consultation with a dermatologist?

Answer

Most doctor's offices do not see patients for free as this is not a sustainable practice model. Any consultation does cost money. If you have insurance, then a dermatology consultation should be covered depending on the insurance rules. With some insurances, the payer or insurer requires that you get a referral for specialist consultation from your primary care physician. So it is important to speak with your primary care physician. Other insurances allow you to schedule these appointments without the consent of your primary care physician. You always have the option of seeing a dermatologist and paying for the consultation out of pocket. I do not recommend this as this can be quite expensive. If you have no insurance, and cannot afford to see the specialist and still really want to have this consultation, then I would suggest that you take a look at some of the free care clinics in your particular location. Almost every major city has a place for people to go to get evaluated even if they don't have the resources to pay the physician. With the implementation of the affordable care act, you're now required by law to obtain some insurance. I hope this answer helps.