ZocdocAnswersHow many days does it take for the scabs of chicken pox fall away?

Question

How many days does it take for the scabs of chicken pox fall away?

Saw the first blisters on Friday. On Saturday consulted a doctor, is taking medication. Now its the fifth day. the After How many days will my skin become clear? Will I get any permanant scars. I have plenty of blisters on my face and chest. Now they are starting to cloud and some have already become scabs. Any way for the scabs to fall away quickly so that I can go to work with a good face. Please help doctor.

Answer

It is important to continue to follow-up with your primary care doctor. In a case of straight-forward, uncomplicated chicken pox, the blisters tend to evolve and continue to develop over about 3-4 days. After that, they begin to crust over and, in most cases, the crust will have dried up and fallen off within one or two weeks after the first spots initially appeared. This, in any event, is the typical course in children. However, the very fact that you are writing this question on the internet tells me that you are probably not a child! In adults who get chicken pox for the first time (something that is increasingly rare, especially in Europe and the United States due to routine chicken pox vaccination), things may be more drawn out, with more blisters appearing for additional days and, as a result, the overall course of the illness being longer. Even after the scabs do fall off, it is quite common for there to be some change in the skin coloration where the scabs were. This color change may persist for months, although it does generally fade. Scarring is also a risk, especially in adult who contract the illness. Unfortunately, other than good skin care and taking antiviral medications (which it sounds like you already are) there is not much else that can be done to speed healing, but it is very important to continue to follow closely with your primary care doctor to make sure that complications (such as more serious skin infections) do not occur.