ZocdocAnswersI have been having this awkward pulsating feeling in my left middle abdominal area, what could be the cause?

Question

I have been having this awkward pulsating feeling in my left middle abdominal area, what could be the cause?

When the pain occurs it gives me this almost numbness feeling inside around the pain. My stomach will get hard when the pain occurs and gets soft when the pain goes away. Whenever i press down on the area it always hurts. What could this be from?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like they are quite troubling to you. In order to determine the precise cause of your symptoms, a physician will need to collect a detailed medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. Depending on these findings, you may need to undergo additional testing. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. After collecting this information, the doctor can discuss potential causes of your symptoms as well as treatments. There are many different abdominal organs that can cause pain. You may have developed an abdominal aortic aneurysm. This is an abnormal dilation of the major blood vessel connecting your heart to other organs. Once an aneurysm develops, the vessel is at increased risk for rupture, which is a life threatening emergency. You will need to discuss this possibility with a primary care physician. Disorders of the stomach, such as gastric outlet obstruction or gastroparesis, can cause stomach distension, bloating, and intermittent firmness. Constipation or a small bowel obstruction can cause pulsation as the bowel attempts to move fecal material forward. I encourage you to raise these possibilities with a primary care physician. Only after collecting more information will it be possible to determine the specific cause.