Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can I have a concussion?"

ZocdocAnswersCan I have a concussion?


Another girl and I head butted each other pretty hard in a soccer game. I was a bit dazed afterwards and my head felt heavy. Ive had headaches ranging from tolerable to awful. Two days after this I began to feel a little sick on and off. I also have a tendency to forget what I was just thinking or said. The next day, today, I was clearing. A half broken tree limb, which then fell on my head. The headaches are worse and my head always feels tingly. But is this from so much at once? I've still been to the gym and can complete chores just fine. Can this be serious or does my body just need time to recooperate?


Concussions are very common during sporting events and are often missed, overlooked, or downplayed by coaches and co-players. It is important that you see your doctor as soon as possible given your symptoms. Concussions can occur with any trauma to the head. They can cause headache, immediately after the event or delayed up to 7 days, confusion at or shortly after the time of the event, nausea and vomiting. They require immediate attention from a doctor and a complete neurologic evaluation to document the symptoms and their resolution. Your symptoms are concerning that you did suffer a concussion. However, the symptoms from a concussion typically resolve. Any head trauma can cause injury to the bones and structures in the face and head, including fractures. Trauma can also cause injury to the brain, including bruising in the brain, and bleeding in the brain. Bleeding from trauma is more common in elderly patients, however the prolonged symptoms you are experiencing is concerning that there may be something more serious going on. This requires evaluation to be sure there is not a worrisome cause for your headaches. There are many types of headaches. These include tension, which usually feel like a tight 'band' around the head, migraine headaches, which may be associated with nausea, vomiting, and light sensitivity, and others. However, given that your headaches are associated with two injuries to the head, you should see a doctor to have an exam and imaging if he/she sees appropriate.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.