ZocdocAnswersWhy is my throat very sore after vomiting?

Question

Why is my throat very sore after vomiting?

I threw up three times (first time in years) about 5 days ago. the next day I get a VERY strong pain in my throat. and its been there ever since. and it feels like a lump in my throat. Ive tried gargling salt water a couple times.. still isnt helping. I cant see anything abnormal. So Idk what to do. I cant afford going to a doctor right now.. I think its from the stomach acid.. what do I do?

Answer

There are many potential causes of a sore throat, some of which need medical attention and treatment to improve. Others will tend to get better over time. The key is that, if you have questions about your problem you should speak with a doctor. This, of course, brings up your point about not having access to medical care. I would recommend that you check with some of the local free clinics that are available options in most cities. Alternatively, you can speak with your doctor's office and answer some questions over the phone, which may be enough to get the information you need. Finally, if your problem becomes severe or you need further assistance, please go to the emergency department. Now, for causes of a sore throat, vomiting by itself can cause pain due to the acid coming up. Some people have improvement with medications that reduce stomach acid. Another common cause is a secondary infection of the back of your throat, which can present in the setting of your other illness. There are many other things that can cause a sore throat. Please find a way to speak with a doctor about your concerns.