Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is my uvula split? Should I be concerned ?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is my uvula split? Should I be concerned ?


I am 29 years old and my uvula is spilt it's never really bothered me growing up however I have and still are getting sick a lot with infections ear and throat - tonsillitis etc a comment was made to me as to why they think I might be getting these infections a lot is due to my uvula been spilt this got me thinking as no one around me has this and they don't get sick like me. I am not on any medications am not allergic to anything I try to look after myself by eating health lots of vegetables and fruit I am not a very tall person only 5foot and go to the gym every 2day I weigh 55kgs. Should I be worried about this? If so Should I be going to see a throat specialist about this?


Sorry to hear about your recurrent throat infections and I recommend speaking with your doctor. Unfortunately, these can be quite common for people, even healthy people, and so should be discussed with your doctor. A split uvula, which ear nose and throat surgeons (aka ENT aka otolaryngology-head and neck surgeons) will refer to as a bifid uvula, is not uncommon. It is one of the signs that doctors look for when they are trying to determine if a patient has a cleft palate. In many cases, a cleft palate is obvious. In a significant other number of cases, patients will have what is known as a submucosal cleft. This is when the soft palate seems to come all the way together and looks normal, but has a separation of the muscles in the middle. This can lead to some problems in some people, but is generally not an issue for a significant number of patients. As such, it is important that you discuss your concerns with your doctor to see if there is something more that needs to be done. As above, and ear nose and throat surgeon will likely be able to help you to feel better, so please speak with your doctor about your questions.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.