Can I switch anti-depressant drugs without waiting for the 14 days wash out period?

I am currently taking Cymbalta 60 mg. it is a good medicine, is very good drug, but it is very expensive in my country. I would like to switch to Effexor 75 mg, do I need to wait for the 14 days wash out period, even though the two drugs are from the same family? thank you
Thanks for the question. Every patient has different factors that need to be considered before blanket advice can be given. I am happy to hear that you have found a medication that works for you, and it does seem like a reasonable idea to select a medication from the same family. The important thing to remember is that any of these changes should only be done under the guidance of your prescribing doctor. He or she should be able to answer this question simply for you, and then you would know what to expect as you transition to the new medication. The package insert and the drug manufacturer are also good sources of information, and may be able to answer your question, but should not be used in isolation without professional advice. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and determine what is right for you.

Other Psychiatrists