ZocdocAnswersAm I not capable of getting pregnant?

Question

Am I not capable of getting pregnant?

my fiance & I have been trying to get pregnant for a couple months already, the first time we tried a month later I had a missed period, a couple weeks later I was having symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea, fatigue, light spotting & abdominal pain, took 6 test and they all came out negative, at this point I still hadnt had a period within 2 months, then I started my period randomly, this happens to me every month, missed periods and symptoms, ive always had regular periods but since ive been trying to get pregnant theyve been irregular, does this mean Im infertile and cant get pregnant?

Answer

Thanks for your question. I can tell from your question that there is quite a bit of anxiety already built into the situation, which is quite common when people are trying to conceive. I recommend that you speak with your OB/GYN. Fortunately, a woman is not considered to be at risk of being infertile, in the eyes of many doctors, unless she has been trying to get pregnant for a full year without success or has other risk factors. In your specific situation, unless there is more information that you have not provided, a brief period of "a couple of months" would not necessarily be overly concerning. There is more to your question, however, as you mention that your periods have become irregular since attempting to conceive. This could have something to do with a change in your birth control (ie, was your period regular before because you were on hormonal contraceptives as birth control?) or it could be a sign that your body is having some other irregularity. All of these are things that can, and should, be discussed with your OB/GYN or primary care doctor while you are trying to conceive. He or she may likely also recommend a multivitamin with folate and other tips. Again, please discuss this question with your doctor.