Is this a severe case of cellulitis ?

My six year old brother is in the hospital because of a severe case of cellulitis. His hand was swolen and he had red lines going up his arms, but the doctor said it isn't in his blood stream, and they are at the hospital and keeping him over night with an IV. How long will he be in the hospital? I've heard that the treatment begins to work quickly, so do you think he could be released to come home tomorrow? Please let me know, thank you.
Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about your brother. I hope that he is well already as you read this. I encourage you to speak with his doctors about this. In general, serious skin infections can respond rapidly to appropriately directed antibiotic therapy. IV antibiotics tend to be among the most powerful, and so if the infection is concerning doctors will often turn to these first. These can also be used while doctors wait for bacterial information to be available, specifically, what bacteria is causing the infection and what antibiotics are the most effective at treating just that one bacteria rather than all of the others that are present on the body but not causing problems. As for how long he will need to be hospitalized, that depends on a number of factors. First, the seriousness of the infection will obviously be a factor. Next, how well it responds will also be important: if it improves immediately, your doctor will likely be reassured to some degree. Next, the available antibiotics that can be taken by mouth. Also, your brother's other medical problems will be important to consider, as they can affect a decision of whether or not to send him home soon or late. Please speak with his doctors about all of this, and good luck!

Nearby Infectious Disease Specialists

• Dr. Jilan Shah
    Dr. Jilan Shah MD
    Infectious Disease Specialist
    247 3rd Ave
    New York, NY 10010
  • Dr. Andrew Petelin
    Dr. Andrew Petelin MD
    Infectious Disease Specialist
    94 East 1st Street
    New York, NY 10009
  • Dr. Douglas Zeiger
    Dr. Douglas Zeiger MD
    Infectious Disease Specialist
    109 East 38th Street
    New York, NY 10016

Other Infectious Disease Specialists

• Dr. Joseph Rahimian
    Dr. Joseph Rahimian MD
    Infectious Disease Specialist
    31 Washington Square West
    New York, NY 10011
  • Dr. Neelam Uppal
    Dr. Neelam Uppal MD
    Infectious Disease Specialist
    1370 Broadway
    New York, NY 10018
  • Dr. George McKinley
    Dr. George McKinley MD
    Infectious Disease Specialist
    36 West 60th Street
    New York, NY 10023