search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can I get pregnant after a partial hysterectomy?"

ZocdocAnswersCan I get pregnant after a partial hysterectomy?

Question

I got my tubes tied and a year later had a partial hysterectomy. i have heard of women getting after this procedure. How can i go about doing this.

Answer

I recommend that you speak with a reproductive specialist. Unfortunately, there's no way for you to become pregnant after having a tubal ligation and partial hysterectomy. In order for you to carry a pregnancy, you must have fallopian tubes as a place for conception and a uterus for implantation of the fertilized egg. I am sure that there are some reports occasionally of a woman attaining a pregnancy without a uterus but this is always an ectopic pregnancy (also known as a pregnancy outside the uterus) which is not something that can be carried until term. Ectopic pregnancies must be terminated because they are always threatening the life of the mother. I would not be concerned at all that this is something that would occur in you because without the uterus or Fallopian tubes; the chances of conception are extremely low. For these reasons, your best bet at raising a child is adoption. One other possibility that I do not know much about is the possibility that you would be able to undergo an egg harvest and hire a surrogate mother. You could potentially consult a reproductive specialist regarding this possibility. This is a procedure where they harvest your eggs and after an in vitro fertilization implant them into surrogate mother's uterus to carry until term. Good luck.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances