ZocdocAnswersShould I worry about a swelling vagina?

Question

Should I worry about a swelling vagina?

My daughter has told me that her vagina has swelled up 3 times in 4 months. She is 13 years old, has never had sex, and has had regular periods sense 11 years old. Regular up to 4 months ago, now it is a bit irregular. She has told me that the swelling happens when she tries to masterbate (she has been masterbating for at least a year) and the swelling lasts a couple of days. There is No pain, no bleeding, no problems urinating, and no problems sitting down. Just the swelling. Should I worry or is it just teenage hormones?

Answer

Thanks for this question. It is hard to understand exactly what you are describing, and speaking with your pediatrician or an OB/GYN would probably be a good idea to make sure that this is not something significant. While there is erectile tissue in the female reproductive system as well as there is in the male, it would be hard to just discount her symptoms in that manner without understanding more fully the problem. There are other things that could be causing these symptoms, and some of these may be serious although it is hard to clarify this in this format. Please have her speak with a doctor and get the answers to your question.